Sunday, 10 July 2016

Micro-Swiss All Metal Nozzel Hell

Micro-Swiss All Metal Nozzle Hell.

 WARNING. 

There is a video with LOTS of swearing. 

I'm British and we swear.

 

So I bought 2 sets of Micro-Swiss hot ends a while back. 


After being told they where the dogs bollocks for printing with, and yes, while they work, they seem OK, but the problems I have had with them out ways the benefits.  Now you are meant to do all the fitting with the block hot. So you always burn your hand or fingers as well.


First problem I have is how they go together. There is 3 parts. The Nozzle (1). The  middle part (2) and the aluminium throat (3).






OK. I'll get back to part 1 later

Part 2 has two flats to tighten it up with a 7 mm spanner. Why it's not a hex shape I don't know. 2 flats is a stupid idea to start with.

Now, You are meant to put part 3 into part 2, but part 3 is a tube, no way to get any spanner on it to nip it up. If you use pliers you score the outside.  Part 3 is aluminium. Part 2 is stainless steel. part 2 strips the thread of part 3.

Now part 2 fits into the heater block





The problem is when you put part 2 in the block the part with the flats goes inside the block a little bit, Maybe taking away 40% of the surface of the flat spots. Meaning you can't get a spanner onto it to tighten it up. Also if you have part 3 screwed in this is 8mm so you can't even drop the spanner over that and slid it down on the flats. 






 Now why didn't they make part 2 a hex and 9mm, same as the nozzle and taller I don't know.


Now the Mk10 makes a better job of this by having a larger area for a spanner and further up so you can actually get a spanner on it, as above.


The problem I get a lot of is the filament weeping out between the hot end block and part 1. This happens A LOT.



 
yes this is a rant, yes other ppl may not have these problems, but I DO and that's what this is about. MY problems. Now someone will say you've done it wrong, yet each time I have followed their instructions. but you can't get any grip on anything . So in my mind they are shite. 

I would also like to say when I first got them and had a few problems I contacted the seller/company and had no real support. I told them one was threaded, nothing. I told them they had stripped the heater block, nothing. 

Swearing video below.





 

2 comments:

  1. I just don't remember having any problems putting this thing together. I followed their guide religiously. I would even do a step or two then go back and check. I fitted it together cold with my fingers. I did this several times. Never used a spanner on the throat. After all this, I heated everything and only snugged it up. I worked. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no issues putting mine together. I just really haven't seen much a benefit to them, especially for the price tag. No quality improvement whatsoever.

    Here are the two benefits I've seen thus far:
    1.) My FFCP unload function now works. Previously the filament would get a little blob on it and the PTFE tube would block it from being unloaded. No PTFE tube, no blockage
    2.) When I printed too much at 240C or higher, the PTFE tube would get ruined and I would have to replace it. Now, I paid about USD5 for 2 meters of PTFE tube. 30mm of tube per blockage goes a long, long way.

    In fact, the one thing is that I haven't had a single extruder jam since I started using them. That may or may not be worth it right there.

    ReplyDelete